Tuesday, February 14, 2006

F-14 Retirement


Aero-News.net is reporting that the last F-14 combat mission has returned to the carrier USS Teddy Roosevelt (CVN 71). The last combat mission was on February 8, 2006.


The F-14 has always been one of my favorite military aircraft, and not just because it was the real star of "Top Gun". The swing wing technology has always fascinated me, and the amount of sheer, raw power that the F14 packed is enough to amaze everyone. I had the good fortune to witness an F-14 airshow performance in Augusta several years ago. It also did a "Heritage Flight", flying in formation with a P-51 Mustang. I'll never forget that flyby. The P-51 was running almost flat-out, and the huge wings of the F-14 were straight out to the sides, fighting to stay in the air at that low an airspeed. It was a great show.

I will definitely miss the F-14.


No comments:

Post a Comment